Summer is in full gear and that means.. ROAD TRIPS ARE HERE! Who else comes from a family where road trips and summer go hand in hand? I grew up road tripping, as did my parents, and I’ve come to love it. The good music, the delicious road trip snacks packed for the trip, the movies my siblings and I would get to indulge on with our 6 inch tv screen. What fun! Luke, my husband, and I are headed out on a road trip this weekend to Seaside, Oregon to spend a week with my family and our significant others. I’m excited to crank the good tunes, roll down the windows, and have a blast with my hubs as we make our way down to the Oregon Coast.
In honor of our road tripping weekend, I’ve decided to compile a round up of my favorite healthy road trip snacks, as well as many other awesome on-the-go simple snack ideas I’ve found from some amazing food bloggers. We can love our road trip snacks, but it doesn’t mean we have to let our healthy eating habits completely derail. Road trip snacks can be simple, delicious, and nutritious! I’ve categorized these snacks so the WHOLE FAMILY can get what they want! I have breakfast snacks, because if your family is anything like mine, you’ll be out the door and on the road by 6am; no time for breakfast! In addition, there’s snack-y food that can double as lunch and dinner, kiddo snacks, adult snacks, and store bought snacks for when you don’t have time to cook a bazillion things. I get it.
Ready for this list of 50 road trip snacks for the whole family? Let’s get into it!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on these links and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Road Trip Snacks: “Breakfast Snacks” Break the Fast with These Delicious On the Go Breakfast Ideas!
1. Breakfast Mini Pancake Muffins – These are great because you can make them the day before, let them cool, and pop em in a zip lock bag for little pancake bites on the go. Add whatever flavors and toppings you want to each individual pancake muffin so the whole family can have what they want! Find the recipe at crunchycreamysweet.com.
2. Triple Berry Blender Muffins – Who doesn’t love a muffin they can mix up in the blender, pour it in the pan, and you’re done?! These berry blender muffins are full of healthy antioxidants from the berries, healthy carbs from oats, and protein from greek yogurt. What more could you ask for?! Find the recipe at whatmollymade.com.
3. Banana Zucchini Oatmeal Cups – Sneak these to your kiddos for breakfast and they will have NO idea they are getting their veggies in for the day! They are made with bananas, zucchini, a splash of maple syrup, flax seed, oats, almond milk, and a few more healthy ingredients! They are dairy free, gluten free, and sure to please both the parents and the kids! Find the recipe at hummusapien.com
4. Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins – These muffins are perfect when you need to throw some ingredients together quickly and call it good! They are made with applesauce and are sure to warm your heart with a sprinkle of delicious cinnamon. Your kids will love them and so will you! You can find the recipe at momtomomnutrition.com
5. No Bake Peanut Butter Energy Bites – The four simple ingredients that go into these melt in your mouth delicacies are peanut butter, oats, maple syrup, and dark chocolate chips. These are the perfect on to the go breakfast option to keep you and your kiddos full for hours, and you can’t beat how easy they are to make! Talk about road trip snacks goals. Find the recipe at thewholesomedish.com
6. Flourless Banana Oat Protein Muffins – These are one of my favorite on the go breakfast meals. These muffins are perfect when I want a good mix of complex carbs and protein to keep me full and give me the energy I need. They are simple to make and taste delicious, without being too sweet. You can find the recipe by yours truly at writeyourstory.site
7. Egg Muffin Cups – These healthy egg muffin cups are quick and easy to make, but pack a powerful nutritious punch for your first meal of the day. They are full of veggies and protein and are easy to make the night before. Just heat up in the morning on your way out the door and you’re good to go! Find the recipe at showmetheyummy.com
Road Trip Snacks: ” Kid-Friendly” Keep your Kids Happy with these Kid-Friendly Snack Ideas. Pair a Few Together for a Perfect for a Lunch or Dinner Substitute!
8. Banana Chips – Mmmm, Banana chips! Such a simple, easy snack that is a lot healthier than snacking on a bag of potato chips. You can buy banana chips at the grocery store, or you can give it a go making them at home! Check out this recipe at allshecooks.com
9. Berry Delicious Vegan Gummies – These homemade gummies are much healthier than some of the other varieties you can buy in the store that are loaded with artificial sweeteners and corn syrup. The 4 simple ingredients in these gummies are blackberries, blueberries, water, and agar powder. I think these will definitely make it into the mix of road trip snacks Luke and I bring this weekend, they look so good and I love how straight forward and “clean” the ingredient list is! Find the recipe at thecrunchychronicles.com
10. Ranch Oyster Crackers – I love this idea of taking plain oyster crackers and mixing them up with Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning packets to make ranch crackers. And no, this is not an ad, I promise. I just think kiddos would love these! And they look quite simple to make. Find the recipe at hiddenvalley.com
11. Pickle Roll Ups – If your kiddos like pickles, then this snack will be a hit! Pickle roll ups are made with pickles, cream cheese, and corn beef. Substitute in turkey slices or any other lunch meat if your child doesn’t like corn beef. This snack is easy to make, has protein in it to keep your child full, and who doesn’t love a yummy refreshing pickle?! Find the recipe at pipandebby.com
12. Cinnamon Sugar Almonds – Kids may not have acquired a taste to snack on plain almonds quite yet, but add some cinnamon and sugar and you’ve got yourself a different story. Almonds are heart healthy, full of healthy fats and very filling. This is a snack that the kids might have to try to keep the parents paws off of. Find the recipe here at simplybeingmommy.com
13. Peanut Butter & Jelly Cups – Now your child can enjoy their yummy sticky gooey crumby peanut butter and jelly sandwich WITHOUT all the sticky, gooey, crumby-ness. These peanut butter and jelly cups are great for kiddos who love peanut butter and jelly but don’t love the bread (especially the crust) and they are great for you, mom and dad, because now you won’t find chunks of bread in your car seats for the next ten years! 😉 Find the recipe here at handmadecharlotte.com
14. Pizza Cups – These remind me of a childhood favorite of mine that my mom used to make, “pizza puffs”. They are essentially the same thing as these pizza cups and let me tell you they were yuuuuummy! If your child loves pizza, these will be a crowd pleaser for sure. Find the recipe here at tasteandtellblog.com
15. Crunchy Apple Wrap – Some things just work better in life as a duo, and peanut butter and apples are one of those things. They complete each other. These crunchy apple wraps are sure to make your child smile, as they are made with apple slices, peanut butter, mini chocolate chips, and all wrapped up in a white flour tortilla. There is literally nothing they could complain about, it’s kid friendly and absolutely delicious. Find the recipe at findingzest.com
16. Zucchini Bites for Kids – This snack was designed with kids in mind! They are made with just 5 wholesome ingredients: zucchini, cheddar cheese, egg, oat flour, and italian seasoning. I ALWAYS have zucchini’s on hand because I buy bags of zucchini and summer squash at costco. I’m a sucker for zucchini and will definitely be making these for our trip! Even if they’re made for kids, I’m a kid at heart, right? 😉 Find the recipe here at healthylittlefoodies.com
Road Trip Snacks: “Adult Snacks” These Will Fill You Up With Healthy Nutrients And Keep You From Getting Hangry On The Road
17. Paleo Trail Mix – Eating healthy can be easily thrown off when fast food on a road trip is calling your name. Pack some of this delicious paleo snack mix instead to ward off hunger and keep yourself sustained for the long haul. It’s full of healthy fats from walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds, and has just enough of a sweet side from dried cranberries and dark chocolate to curb that sweet tooth craving. Find the recipe at missinformationblog.com.
18. Cucumber Hummus Roll Ups – Love veggies and hummus but don’t want to deal with the mess in the car? This cucumber hummus roll up solves that problem and tastes delicious too! To make it road trip friendly, I suggest spreading the tomato sauce inside the wrap just like the hummus. Find the recipe at cookglee.com
19. Healthy Protein Buckeyes – These healthy protein buckeyes are ALMOST too good to be true! They are made with peanut butter, chocolate (use dark for extra antioxidant benefits), coconut oil, vanilla protein powder, and vanilla extract. It’s a simple and DELICIOUS healthy dessert or snack option! Find the recipe at fitfoodiefinds.com
20. Sea Salt and Garlic Kale Chips – Don’t hate until you try them! The thought of a kale chip used to give me the polar opposite of a watering mouth, but once I gave them a try I fell in love. Seasoned Kale chips are even better, and these Sea Salt Garlic Kale Chips certainly won’t disappoint. Find the recipe at thebusybaker.ca
21. Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Bites – This healthy finger food is full of whole grains, veggies, and 3 delicious cheeses. Flavor is not lacking in these delicious bites, and it’s a snack you can feel good about filling up on! Find the recipe at cupcakesandkalechips.com
22. Healthy Carrot Cake Granola Bars – Granola bars are versatile for all occasions; work or school lunches, car rides, gym pre workout snacks, the list goes on. These healthy carrot cake granola bars are perfect for your road trip. They are loaded with oats, flaxseed, carrots, raisins, nuts and almond butter, they’re sure to make the whole family happy!
23. Healthy Baked Broccoli Bites – These bites are a perfect sneaky way to get some of your veggies in for the day! I know for me, I always feel better when I know what I’m snacking on is good for me. These broccoli bites are just that, and taste delicious too! Give em a go. Find the recipe at booksandlavender.com
24. Matcha Energy Bites- Lately, Matcha Green Tea powder has been all the craze, and for good reason! The health benefits prove to be stellar. These Matcha Energy bites are made with 5 simple ingredients: matcha green tea powder, almonds, dates, chia seeds, and vanilla extract. Talk about nutritious and so delicious! I can’t wait to pack these on our trip. Find the recipe at gratefulgrazer.com
25. Sea Salt and Vinegar Roasted Chick Peas – Chick peas are one of my favorite healthy snacks because they are so high in protein and are an easy snack to munch on. These Sea Salt and Vinegar Roasted Chick Peas are especially delicious because they are seasoned like your favorite sea salt and vinegar potato chip. You’ll barely taste the difference, but you’ll be filling your body with something MUCH healthier. Find the recipe at nutritionistreviews.com
Road Trip Snacks: “Simple & Pre-made” Snacks & Whole Foods You Don’t Have to Make Yourself
26. Nature Box – I was so excited when I came across this company! Nature Box is designed to fit your snacking needs with an array of healthy snack options including gluten free, low sodium, vegan, no sugar added, 150 calories or less… the list goes on. All you have to do is check the box for your snacking needs and all the options will pop up! They make great snacks for my lunches at work, as well as on the road because they come prepackaged and aren’t messy.
27. Beef Jerky – I suggest trying the brand “Krave”. They have chicken, pork, beef, and turkey jerky and it all comes in a variety of delicious flavors. Luke tried the Buffalo Chicken jerky on our way to Alabama a few weeks ago and he loved it.
Buy it here:
28. Roasted Edamame
30. String Cheese
31. Hard Boiled Eggs
33. Snap Peas
34. Babybell Cheese
36. Cherry Tomatoes
38. Justin’s Nut Butter On the Go Packs
Buy them discounted in packs of 10 here:
39. Carrot and Celery Sticks
40. Dried Mango
Buy individually packaged dried mango here: (packs of 10)
41. Dove Dark Chocolate squares
42. Popcorn – This is my all time favorite brand of popcorn. It’s organic, only 5g of fat per 3 cup serving, and the Himalayan Pink Salt adds the perfect flavor. Buy it here: (3 full size bags)
43. RXBAR Protein Bars – These are currently my favorite brand of protein bar. I’m extremely picky when it comes to protein bars. The flavor has to be great, the list of ingredients have to be recognizable and good for me, and the sugar content shouldn’t sky rocket through the roof. These RXBAR protein bars check all the boxes. Try my favorite flavor, Coconut Chocolate, here: (pack of 12)
45. Mixed Nuts
46. Mandarin Oranges
47. Greek Yogurt
48. Dried Dates
49. Apple Sauce
50. Smoothie or Protein Shake (I love the Premier protein shakes you can buy at Costco)
That’s a Wrap!
I hope you’ve found a few snack ideas you can add to your list from this compilation! Luke might have a mini heart attack when we pack up the car for our trip this weekend and he sees our entire backseat is packed full with these delicious healthy road trip snacks. He’ll thank me when he tries them all, I’m sure 😉 Don’t forget to try your Naturebox snacks for 50% off for a limited time using my link below. Happy road tripping, friends!
Like this post? Give it a pin!